Abandoned Baby Rabbit Finds Help in the Forest - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Abandoned Baby Rabbit Finds Help in the Forest

Posted: Updated:
Garrett Rice didn’t know a short conversation with his grandson would result in a series of children’s book. Writing under the pseudonym Billy Garrett, he’s surprised to see the strong interest in his first book in the series, The Secret Life of Tumkit. Not only do his grandchildren love the book, it has maintained bestseller status on Amazon since its release.

Left behind in a cold and dark burrow, a baby rabbit named Tumkit was destined to die of starvation until Vella, a shrewd and fearless mockingbird, discovered Tumkit and brought him a magic berry. The berry came from a solitary bush that grows in a cave near the top of Laurel Mountain. Vella warns Tumkit the bush is struggling to survive and unless they act quickly the supernatural powers of its berries will be lost forever. Tumkit, Vella and Sully, a one-year-old buck and loyal friend to Vella, travel up the steep mountain in a desperate attempt to save the bush. Their quest takes a dangerous turn when they encounter Borwong, and angry and heartless grizzly bear, who refuses to allow anyone on his mountain. The book is geared toward ages 4-12.

Many educators support the book. A few of their comments follow:

“Absolutely loved it. Every word paints a vivid picture of this incredible and engaging story.” ~ Connie Clark, retired L.A. County school teacher.

“I will never look at a bunny the same way again. I was so drawn into the story I believed I was actually there. I highly recommend it to anyone.” ~ Joyce Hood, retired Washington State school teacher.

“My class thoroughly enjoyed Billy’s book. Here’s two of the many heartfelt reviews they sent to the author,” “Best book I’ve ever read.” “I hope you write another one, your books are fun.” ~ Rosemary Bierman, school teacher for gifted children.

The book is available on Amazon.com and will officially launch this weekend.

Rice says, “I am a retired general contractor living in Bend, Oregon during the summer and Palm Desert, California in the winter. I love playing the guitar, fishing the ocean, writing and most of all playing with our five wonderful grandkids. Everyone told me grandkids would be the best and they were right. They’ve had such a positive impact on my life. They taught me how to have fun with my imagination again, just by watching them play with the simplest of things. I began to write, at the age of sixty-five, because of my grandmother. She passed away when I was young and all that’s left of her are some faint memories and few black and white photos. I know absolutely nothing about her past life so when I told that to my wife she said, “Why don’t you write a book about your adventures? That way, when the grandkids are old enough, they can read how they all came to be born in Bend, Oregon.” As a result, I published my first book, Behind Sight. My second book, The Secret Life of Tumkit, which has just been released, is a children’s book. I’m currently working on a sequel. Hope you enjoy the stories.”

Media Contact
Website: http://billygarrettbooks.homestead.com

Source: www.abnewswire.com

ReleaseID: 11928

• Latest StoriesMore>>

Vulcan Park and Museum to host 10th concert series

Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:47 AM EDT2014-08-20 12:47:46 GMT
    Vulcan Park and Museum plans to offer the VulcanĀ® AfterTunes Concert Series on September 28, October 12 and October 26, 2014. More >>

Firefighters battle house fire in Ensley

Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:12 AM EDT2014-08-20 12:12:44 GMT
    Birmingham Fire and Rescue is battling a house fire in the 2600 block of Ave S in Ensley.More >>

Civil rights icon believes protesters in Ferguson, MO can learn from Birmingham

Tuesday, August 19 2014 11:50 PM EDT2014-08-20 03:50:00 GMT
    People in the Magic City are holding protests and expressing concern for the situation in Missouri. Sarah Snyder spoke with a local civil rights icon - who hopes Birmingham can be an example to people in Ferguson. More >>

Carl Edwards to join JGR in 2015

Tuesday, August 19 2014 11:08 PM EDT2014-08-20 03:08:24 GMT
    NASCAR's hottest free agent is off the board. Carl Edwards was introduced as the newest member of the Joe Gibbs Racing team on Tuesday."It means the world to me to have this opportunity and to be a part of this organization," Edwards said. "It'll be nice to finally talk about this."Rumor linked Edwards to JGR ever since he announced last month that he was ending his ten year partnership with Roush Fenway Racing.Edwards will drive the No. 19 Toyota next season. It's the fourth piece to an impr...More >>

Auburn's Patrick Young could miss season with knee injury

Tuesday, August 19 2014 10:32 PM EDT2014-08-20 02:32:07 GMT
    Auburn's H-back position has taken an injury hit for the second consecutive week.Patrick Young suffered a serious knee injury last week, and he may not be available to play at all in 2014."Patrick Young, that was kind of a tough deal," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "Patrick Young hurt his knee, a senior walk-on, a guy's that's really been phenomenal for our program and finally was in a spot where he was going to get a chance to help us." Malzahn announced last week that H-back Gage Batten is...More >>

WATCH: Nick Saban, Alabama football team complete Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS

Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:58 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:58:10 GMT
    You know Nick Saban would never back down from a challenge, especially one that's for such a worthy cause.More >>

2 killed in helicopter crash in Tuscaloosa County (update)

Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:15 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:15:41 GMT
    One of the two people killed in a helicopter crash in Tuscaloosa County was an Alabama Power employee, a company spokesperson confirmed to ABC 33/40.More >>
    One of the two people killed in a helicopter crash in Tuscaloosa County was an Alabama Power employee, a company spokesperson confirmed to ABC 33/40. More >>

Texas Gov. Perry booked on abuse of power charges

Tuesday, August 19 2014 8:56 PM EDT2014-08-20 00:56:36 GMT
    Gov. Rick Perry was defiant Tuesday as he was booked on abuse of power charges, telling dozens of cheering supporters outside a Texas courthouse that he would "fight this injustice with every fiber of my being."More >>