Abandoned Baby Rabbit Finds Help in the Forest - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Abandoned Baby Rabbit Finds Help in the Forest

Posted: Updated:
Garrett Rice didn’t know a short conversation with his grandson would result in a series of children’s book. Writing under the pseudonym Billy Garrett, he’s surprised to see the strong interest in his first book in the series, The Secret Life of Tumkit. Not only do his grandchildren love the book, it has maintained bestseller status on Amazon since its release.

Left behind in a cold and dark burrow, a baby rabbit named Tumkit was destined to die of starvation until Vella, a shrewd and fearless mockingbird, discovered Tumkit and brought him a magic berry. The berry came from a solitary bush that grows in a cave near the top of Laurel Mountain. Vella warns Tumkit the bush is struggling to survive and unless they act quickly the supernatural powers of its berries will be lost forever. Tumkit, Vella and Sully, a one-year-old buck and loyal friend to Vella, travel up the steep mountain in a desperate attempt to save the bush. Their quest takes a dangerous turn when they encounter Borwong, and angry and heartless grizzly bear, who refuses to allow anyone on his mountain. The book is geared toward ages 4-12.

Many educators support the book. A few of their comments follow:

“Absolutely loved it. Every word paints a vivid picture of this incredible and engaging story.” ~ Connie Clark, retired L.A. County school teacher.

“I will never look at a bunny the same way again. I was so drawn into the story I believed I was actually there. I highly recommend it to anyone.” ~ Joyce Hood, retired Washington State school teacher.

“My class thoroughly enjoyed Billy’s book. Here’s two of the many heartfelt reviews they sent to the author,” “Best book I’ve ever read.” “I hope you write another one, your books are fun.” ~ Rosemary Bierman, school teacher for gifted children.

The book is available on Amazon.com and will officially launch this weekend.

Rice says, “I am a retired general contractor living in Bend, Oregon during the summer and Palm Desert, California in the winter. I love playing the guitar, fishing the ocean, writing and most of all playing with our five wonderful grandkids. Everyone told me grandkids would be the best and they were right. They’ve had such a positive impact on my life. They taught me how to have fun with my imagination again, just by watching them play with the simplest of things. I began to write, at the age of sixty-five, because of my grandmother. She passed away when I was young and all that’s left of her are some faint memories and few black and white photos. I know absolutely nothing about her past life so when I told that to my wife she said, “Why don’t you write a book about your adventures? That way, when the grandkids are old enough, they can read how they all came to be born in Bend, Oregon.” As a result, I published my first book, Behind Sight. My second book, The Secret Life of Tumkit, which has just been released, is a children’s book. I’m currently working on a sequel. Hope you enjoy the stories.”

Media Contact
Website: http://billygarrettbooks.homestead.com

Source: www.abnewswire.com

ReleaseID: 11928

• Latest StoriesMore>>

Saban: Bama's QB competition continues

Monday, September 1 2014 10:26 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:26:09 GMT
    Alabama still has competition for the starting job at quarterback. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban says both Blake Sims and Jake Coker will play Saturday against Florida Atlantic. He says he hasn't determined how the rotation will work for No. 2 Alabama.More >>
    More >>

City of Clay to defend pit bull ban in court Tuesday

Monday, September 1 2014 7:14 PM EDT2014-09-01 23:14:16 GMT
    The city of Clay will defend its Vicious Dog Ordinance Tuesday morning in court. The city council passed the ordinance last year. It bans pit bulls. Mayor Charles Webster calls it the biggest safety issue in Clay since he's been elected.More >>
    More >>

Friday Night Blitz: Coverage lineup for Week 3

Monday, September 1 2014 6:32 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:32:55 GMT
    Week 3 Blitz Game of the Week:MOUNTAIN BROOK vs HOOVER (The Met)Blitz Cheer:BESSEMER CITY at BROOKWOODBlitz Brigade:HUEYTOWN at MINOROther Notable Matchups:VESTAVIA HILLS at OAK MOUNTAINNORTHRIDGE at MCADORYHILLCREST at CLAY-CHALKVILLE CENTRAL-CLAY at SHELBY COUNTYDEMOPOLIS at CALERAMUNFORD at LEEDSCHILTON COUNTY at PELL CITYPIEDMONT at ASHVILLEMOODY vs SPRINGVILLEJACKSON-OLIN vs BRIARWOODTHOMPSON at SPAIN PARKHEWITT-TRUSSVILLE at TUSCALOOSA COUNTYCORNER vs FAIRFIELDGREENE COUNTY vs GORDOTHOR...More >>

Member of biker club speaks about fight before shooting

Monday, September 1 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:29:44 GMT

Police: suspect in fight before shooting into crowd

More >>

Police: suspect in fight before shooting into crowd

More >>

Labor Day Moon Pie eating contest

Monday, September 1 2014 6:22 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:22:19 GMT
    Dozens of folks got their ''fill'' of a popular Alabama treat this Labor Day.Tannehill State Park hosted the largest Moon Pie eating contest. All total there were 65 people who signed up. The winner receives a cash prize of $100. But this is about more than money. Park administrator, Stacey Green says, "I thought at times it was about the cash prizes, because the adults will win $100. But we've had so many repeat competitors, that I really think they're more in it for bragging rights. I re...More >>

UPDATE: Car belonging to elderly stabbing victim found

Monday, September 1 2014 6:07 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:07:42 GMT
    Birmingham police say a neighbor found the woman lying on the floor of her house on the 600 block of 39th Street South Sunday evening. They believe she was the victim of a burglary and was stabbed to death.More >>

Job growth under microscope this Labor Day

Monday, September 1 2014 5:50 PM EDT2014-09-01 21:50:56 GMT
    Keeping a roof overhead and putting food on the table. That's still difficult for many Alabamians on this 130th Labor Day. A just released report by Arise Citizens Policy Project warns Alabamians will continue to feel the effects of the great recession for years to come. Arise is a statewide nonprofit, nonpartisan coalition that believes low-income people are suffering because of state policy decisions. Bottom line is that Alabama's unemployment rate stands at seven percent. Yet, the stat...More >>

Birmingham security talks underway for Magic City Classic, Dalai Lama visit

Monday, September 1 2014 2:46 PM EDT2014-09-01 18:46:22 GMT
    This year's Magic City Classic week in Birmingham may be a classic one for security. That's because the annual game is happening the same week as the Dalai Lama's multi-day visit to the city, as ABC 33/40More >>
    Security preps.More >>