Birmingham man dies in fire caused by space heaters - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Birmingham man dies in house fire sparked by space heater

Posted: Updated:
BIRMINGHAM - AL -

Birmingham firefighters say space heaters sparked a house fire Wednesday afternoon. A man's body was found inside the house. Family identified him as Charles Bray, Junior.

Lt. Bryan Harrell of Birmingham Fire and Rescue says space heaters are to blame for a fatal, fast spreading fire on the 400 block of Delta Street around 1:30 p.m.. The flames quickly engulfed the house causing the roof to collapse. The fire also damaged the roof and side of a second house.

As firefighters fought it through heavy smoke, Bray's sisters came running to the scene to see if their brother made it out.

"They just said he's in there," said Shirley Parson, his sister. She was hoping he was still alive.

A few hours later, she and others learned he'd died.

His neighbors say they'll missing seeing him on his daily walks.

"He's gonna be missed. He's like a fixture. You expect to see him, you know," said Garrett Mosley, a neighbor.

This is the sixth fire death in Birmingham this year.

Most Popular
Stories
Videos
loading...