Firefighters ok after falling through floor of burning home - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Firefighters ok after falling through floor of burning home

Posted: Updated:
NORTHPORT - AL -

   Two Northport firefighters are doing fine after falling through the floor of a burning home this morning.

   It happened in the 1900 block of 22nd Avenue.

    The family of six had escaped the home when firefighters arrived.  "The family said they heard a pop and saw the smoke then got out.  When we arrived the home was filled with smoke so we're having a hard time getting to the fire."

     But, when the smoke slightly cleared firefighters went inside.   They had no idea the home had cellar or basement below the floor.  A part of it gave way and one firefighter fell through -- then the other while trying to pull his fellow firefighter out.  The second firefighter hurt his shoulder and both went to the hospital to be checked out.  They were released later in the afternoon.

    Meanwhile, Santos Cacarias and his family were renting the home.   He says they have no idea how the blaze started but did mention they had problems with an electrical box last week. "I called the people to fix it [electrical box] but I don't know what happened today," said Cacarias.

     Their landlord has already placed them in another home.

     We're told the injured firefighters will be ok.