Homeless man dies Christmas Eve because of Birmingham cold - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Homeless man dies Christmas Eve because of Birmingham cold

Posted: Updated:
BIRMINGHAM - AL -

A homeless man has died after being exposed to extreme cold temperatures in Birmingham.

According to the Jefferson County Coroner's Office, 56-year-old Kerry Washington died Christmas Eve. He was found on the 400 block of 1st Street South around 7:40 a.m. He was semi-conscious and taken to UAB Hospital where he died a couple hours later.

The coroner's office is saying he died of "accidental hypothermia."

Temperatures reached an overnight low of 26 degrees in the hours before Washington was discovered, according to the National Weather Service.

The city of Birmingham operates a warming station at Boutwell Auditorium in the downtown area, during cold snaps, for people to come in off the streets to get warm. The building was open the night Washington died.

Most Popular
Stories
Videos
loading...