Jeremiah Castile Gives Back - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Jeremiah Castile Gives Back

Jeremiah Castile Gives Back

Posted: Updated:

From a troubled child of alcoholic parents... to a national champion, Jeremiah Castile has had quite a walk of faith.

He takes the inspiration he got in his life and is now pouring into the lives of young people.

He says, "I come from a dysfunctional home... I tell every body every body's home

is dysfunctional. "

Former Alabama football star Jeremiah Castile... talks about how troubled he was growing up.

He says, "I got suspended for fighting as a middle schooler fighting it wasn't the first

time I was suspended. I could see there was a need the road I'm on isn't

gonna lead to success if I'm always getting in a fight and trying to solve

my problems with violence. But that's what I saw in my

home.. between my mom and dad that's how they solved problems.

My parents were alcoholics... and the domestic violence... statistics

say... a lot of times.. when I. should have been an angry

black man growing up but I came to know the Lord at an early age. he

was the first person it was communicated to me that he cared about

me...that was Jesus love.

Jeremiah says he found God at 13... and that helped him through tough teen years... then he found Coach Bear Bryant... who encouraged him.

Coach Bryant did 4 things, he invested in me. he impacted and

inspired me. That's why I'm the person I am today....so as the Lords

called me to be involved in young peoples lives... those are the four things

we look to do within our ministry.

If we invest in young people then we can influence them. To me that's

the most powerful thing God has given us...is the ability to influence. To

me Coach Bryant influenced a lot of people and that's what I look to do in our

ministry.

He cast a vision first hey we gonna be National Champions. I got to Alabama

in 1979, I couldn't see that far... I just wanted to be on the team get a

Jersey... so I could call home and tell mom hey I'm dressing out. He said

were gonna be champions he cast a vision. the more I heard that during

the season the more I bought in to it. The more I did the work in

anticipation.

He did become a National Champion.

Now he is continuing Bear Bryant's legacy... to pour into young people.

We like to cast a vision for young people. Without a vision people perish.

Once you get involved and you care about them the thing I realized

quickly... what I realized about Coach Bryant is that he cared about me.

Young people need to know somebody cares.young people ask me all the time how did I do it... I say make a decision.

and the decision will make you. once I made a decision and the decision

will make you... once I made the decision of what I wanted my life to be

like... the power was in the decision.. They need to know that. They're

not powerless. Every day they get up they make decisions... whether

they're good decisions or bad ones.

Within our ministry right now we have work on the University of Alabama I'm the

Chaplain for the team. ... This is my 12 season working with young men.

To help raise money for his ministry... there will be a golf tournament on October 18the at Eagle point golf 9 am shotgun start.

Coach Bobby Bowden, Jerry Pate, Siran Stacey, Bobby Humphrey

It's the Second Annual Security Technologies Golf Tournament.

Most Popular
Stories
Videos
  • Latest StoriesMore>>

Birmingham police investigating shooting, one person injured

Thursday, August 21 2014 2:16 AM EDT2014-08-21 06:16:17 GMT
    Birmingham police are investigating a shooting in the Tom Brown Village.More >>
    Birmingham police are investigating a shooting in the Tom Brown Village.More >>

Jefferson County deputies hold bone marrow drive to help one of their own

Thursday, August 21 2014 12:03 AM EDT2014-08-21 04:03:36 GMT
    The Jefferson County's Sheriff's Office is seeking help for one of its own.  More >>
  • TechBits: tech news (08.20.14)

Wednesday, August 20 2014 10:30 PM EDT2014-08-21 02:30:56 GMT
    Microsoft may rename Internet Explorer. In a recent Reddit chat, Microsoft engineers say they've been in talks about revamping some of the company's products. They say it would be a way to shed old negative images of some of its software.Linux is trying to drive into the automotive technology market. At a recent automotive Linux conference, there were discussions of building a core system car companies could tailor to their own needs. It would go up against proprietary systems by companies li...More >>

WATCH: Nick Saban, Alabama football team complete Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS

Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:37 PM EDT2014-08-21 01:37:12 GMT
    You know Nick Saban would never back down from a challenge, especially one that's for such a worthy cause.More >>

WATCH: Auburn's Gus Malzahn takes ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:24 PM EDT2014-08-21 01:24:27 GMT
    Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Wednesday then called out PGA Tour pro Jason Dufner, who happens to be a huge Tigers football fan, and Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.More >>
    More >>

EXCLUSIVE: Birmingham Mayor William Bell addresses criticism of international travel

Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:59 PM EDT2014-08-21 00:59:15 GMT
    For the first time in an exclusive interview with ABC 33/40, Birmingham Mayor William Bell addressed public criticism of his frequent international trips.More >>

Birmingham Mayor confident in DNC pitch, admits hurdles

Wednesday, August 20 2014 7:22 PM EDT2014-08-20 23:22:25 GMT
    Birmingham Mayor William Bell is more confident than ever in the city's chances of landing the 2016 Democratic National Convention.In an interview with ABC 33/40 Wednesday, Bell said it's a matter of proving the city can handle the large-scale event. Some critics argue other cities vying for the convention have more viable transportation and venue options."We still have a lot of heavy competition in terms of Philadelphia and New York. We lack in some areas that is of interest to the DNC such ...More >>

Picture emerges of police officer in Ferguson shooting

Wednesday, August 20 2014 6:46 PM EDT2014-08-20 22:46:00 GMT
    A white police officer whose shooting death of an unarmed black 18-year-old ignited racial upheaval in a St. Louis suburb has been characterized as either an aggressor whose deadly gunfire constituted a daylight execution or a law enforcer wrongly maligned for just doing his job.More >>
    More >>