Jeremiah Castile Gives Back - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Jeremiah Castile Gives Back

Jeremiah Castile Gives Back

Posted: Updated:

From a troubled child of alcoholic parents... to a national champion, Jeremiah Castile has had quite a walk of faith.

He takes the inspiration he got in his life and is now pouring into the lives of young people.

He says, "I come from a dysfunctional home... I tell every body every body's home

is dysfunctional. "

Former Alabama football star Jeremiah Castile... talks about how troubled he was growing up.

He says, "I got suspended for fighting as a middle schooler fighting it wasn't the first

time I was suspended. I could see there was a need the road I'm on isn't

gonna lead to success if I'm always getting in a fight and trying to solve

my problems with violence. But that's what I saw in my

home.. between my mom and dad that's how they solved problems.

My parents were alcoholics... and the domestic violence... statistics

say... a lot of times.. when I. should have been an angry

black man growing up but I came to know the Lord at an early age. he

was the first person it was communicated to me that he cared about

me...that was Jesus love.

Jeremiah says he found God at 13... and that helped him through tough teen years... then he found Coach Bear Bryant... who encouraged him.

Coach Bryant did 4 things, he invested in me. he impacted and

inspired me. That's why I'm the person I am today....so as the Lords

called me to be involved in young peoples lives... those are the four things

we look to do within our ministry.

If we invest in young people then we can influence them. To me that's

the most powerful thing God has given us...is the ability to influence. To

me Coach Bryant influenced a lot of people and that's what I look to do in our

ministry.

He cast a vision first hey we gonna be National Champions. I got to Alabama

in 1979, I couldn't see that far... I just wanted to be on the team get a

Jersey... so I could call home and tell mom hey I'm dressing out. He said

were gonna be champions he cast a vision. the more I heard that during

the season the more I bought in to it. The more I did the work in

anticipation.

He did become a National Champion.

Now he is continuing Bear Bryant's legacy... to pour into young people.

We like to cast a vision for young people. Without a vision people perish.

Once you get involved and you care about them the thing I realized

quickly... what I realized about Coach Bryant is that he cared about me.

Young people need to know somebody cares.young people ask me all the time how did I do it... I say make a decision.

and the decision will make you. once I made a decision and the decision

will make you... once I made the decision of what I wanted my life to be

like... the power was in the decision.. They need to know that. They're

not powerless. Every day they get up they make decisions... whether

they're good decisions or bad ones.

Within our ministry right now we have work on the University of Alabama I'm the

Chaplain for the team. ... This is my 12 season working with young men.

To help raise money for his ministry... there will be a golf tournament on October 18the at Eagle point golf 9 am shotgun start.

Coach Bobby Bowden, Jerry Pate, Siran Stacey, Bobby Humphrey

It's the Second Annual Security Technologies Golf Tournament.

• Central Alabama NewsMore>>

John Carroll to head Ethics Commission

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:57 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:57:28 GMT
    Former Cumberland Law School Dean John Carroll will serve as acting director of the State Ethics Commission beginning Oct. 1.Ethics Commission Chairman Ed Crowell announced Tuesday that Carroll will fill in when Director Jim Sumer retires Oct. 1 after being the commission's top staff member for 17 years. Crowell says Carroll will not be a candidate for the permanent position. The commission is accepting applications for the permanent position.Carroll spent 13 years as dean of the Cumberland L...More >>

Poll shows most U.S. parents happy with schools

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:18:23 GMT
    A new survey indicates that a majority of parents in the United States with children in public school systems would rate the quality of their children's schools as above average. Among those polled, 66 percent of parents would rate the quality of their child's school as above average or excellent. However, looking deeper in the demographics shows that minority parents are more likely to believe their children's school is average or worse.The study was released by Vox Populi Polling.More >>
    More >>

Video appears to show beheading of US journalist Steven Sotloff by ISIS

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:15 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:15:56 GMT
    An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group.More >>
    More >>
  • Anniston - Gadsden Area NewsMore>>

Deputies in Etowah County arrest three women for chemical endangerment

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:47 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:47:56 GMT
    The Etowah County sheriff's office arrested three women for chemical endangerment of a child. Investigators charged 28-year-old Ashton Lauren Wood, 25-year-old Jessica Amber Abner and 24-year-old Keeley Elizabeth McCain. Sheriff's Office Deputy Jeremy Lasseter say Wood and her baby both tested positive for amphetamines following the baby's birth. Her bond is set at $10,000. Wood will be supervised by Community corrections and must comply with DHR requirements. She will not be allowed to make ...More >>

Clean out your cabinets for Drug Take-Back Day

Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:38 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:38:07 GMT
    Do you have a drawer or cabinet of medicines? Are any of them out of date? Now is the time to check because you can safely dispose of the medications at the Etowah County Prescription Drug Take-Back Day. It is part of a nationwide effort. The event will be Saturday, September 27. A take-back station will be set up at the East Gadsden Walmart from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.A law enforcement officer will remain with the drug disposal box at all times, and the drugs that are turned in will be tr...More >>

Arrest made in large level extortion scheme

Friday, August 29 2014 12:45 PM EDT2014-08-29 16:45:16 GMT
    "Everett Leon Stout, 72 and Miriam Clair Schultz, 67 are charged with 14 counts of extortion.More >>