Open-Face Chicken al Carbon and Smokey Bacon Tacos
2/3 C Orange juice, fresh
1/3 C Lime juice, fresh
1/4 C Achiote paste
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
3 ea Jalapeno peppers
8 ea Garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 T Black peppercorns, whole
1 T Salt
1 bu Cilantro
2 # Chicken legs and thighs
12 oz Bacon, smoked, thick-sliced
1/2 ea White onion, small, small dice
2 T Honey
1 T Red chile powder
1/2 tsp Chipotle chile powder
As needed Kosher salt
32 ea corn tortillas, small
As needed Salsa Senorita salsa
As needed Sour cream, thinned with a bit of milk, in a squeeze bottle
As needed Cotija cheese, garnish
As needed Cilantro, rough chop, garnish
- Combine the orange juice, lime juice, achiote paste, Worcester Sauce, jalapeno peppers, garlic cloves, peppercorns, salt and cilantro in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and marinate in a non-reactive container for a minimum of 1 hour … overnight is better.
- Transfer the chicken to a roasting pan and cook for 45 minutes until completely cooked through. When cool enough to handle, discard the skin and remove the chicken from the bone. Shred the chicken into large pieces and reserve. If making ahead, refrigerate the chicken in the cooking liquor and use it to re-heat the chicken.
- Cook the bacon over a medium heat. Drain on paper towels, reserving the rendered fat. Cut the bacon into 1" x 1/4" strips and reserve.
- Sauté the onion in the reserved bacon fat until caramelized. Combine the onions and the bacon. Add the honey, red chile powder, chipotle chile powder and toss to combine. Season with salt (Must be eaten immediately!).
- Toast the tortillas over a medium heat for about 30 seconds on each side.
- Top with shredded chicken and then sprinkle with the smoky bacon and onion mixture. Garnish with Salsa Senorita salsa, a squeeze of sour cream, grated cojita cheese and a sprinkle of cilantro.