Southern Style Fish Fry Menu
Fried Catfish (or substitute your favorite fish)
- Catfish fillets (3 or 4 medium pieces per person) any firm fish may be used.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Enough cooking oil to cover the fish (I use peanut or canola oil)
- 1. Heat oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat.
- 2. Combine all dry ingredients on a plate, mix well
- 3. Beat eggs and buttermilk together in a separate medium size bowl
- 4. Wash catfish fillets and pat dry.
- 5. Dip fillets in the egg wash, shake off excess then roll in the cornmeal mix to coat thoroughly on all sides.
- 6. Make sure oil is hot, (place handle of a wooden spoon in the oil. Bubbles should rise around the handle immediately. If not, the oil is not hot enough.)
- 7. Place the fish in the hot oil and fry until golden brown on both sides. Do not crowd the fish in the pan.
- 8. Drain on paper towels and serve hot