Copper Top Bar suspect supposedly asking for Death Penalty - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Copper Top Bar suspect supposedly asking for Death Penalty

Posted: Updated:
Nathan Wilkins Nathan Wilkins
TUSCALOOA COUNTY - AL -

     Nathan Wilkins, the 46-year-old suspect whom police say shot 18 people last July at the Copper Top Bar in downtown Tuscaloosa and one other in Northport is apparently asking to die.

     According to a letter supposedly written by Wilkins, dated April 22, 2013 and  filed in court yesterday, Wilkins says he doesn't believe he can get a fair trial in Tuscaloosa and wants  Circuit Judge Brad Almond to go ahead sentence him to Death.

    Wilkins says his reasons is because he's been denied a change of public defender.  Earlier this year Wilkins wrote the lawyer appointed to represent him in his opinion has assumed him to be guilty and requested a new attorney.

    In the April letter, Wilkins goes on to say prosecutors are seeking life without parole for him because no one died in the Copper Top shootings.  But, he says he wouldn't be able to bear "being away from my family and grand kids for life."

     Wilkins also states he's sorry and although its unclear specifically what he's referring to -- he says he hopes the "incident brings attention to sleeping pills, especially Ambien, before it ruins someone else's life."

Click Here to see the letter written by Wilkins

Most Popular
Stories
Videos
loading...