Orzo w/ Shrimp, Feta Cheese & White Wine
6 first-course or 4 main-course servings
- 8 ounces orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush 11x7-inch glass baking dish with oil. Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain well and return orzo to same pot. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/4 cup feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons basil; stir to blend. Arrange orzo mixture in prepared dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until slightly pink, about 2 minutes (shrimp will not be cooked through). Arrange shrimp atop orzo. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to same skillet. Add garlic and sauté over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Add tomatoes with juice; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine, oregano, crushed red pepper, and remaining 1/4 cup basil. Simmer uncovered until reduced to thick sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper; spoon over shrimp. Bake orzo until heated through, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup feta cheese and serve.