Storm survivor needs - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Etowah County needs help in storm recovery

Posted: Updated:
One of the many Etowah County homes damaged during Monday's storms. ( One of the many Etowah County homes damaged during Monday's storms. (

The National Weather Service now says an EF-1 tornado touched down in Etowah County.  NWS surveyors say the tornado initially touched down in Boaz and moved eastward into Etowah County.  Near Sardis City, at least two houses were destroyed.  Four people were rescued from a house by an injured teenager and 16 people were treated for injuries.  While everyone tries to recover, there is a need for help.

If you want to help storm survivors, the City of Gadsden has released a list of needs for the area.
·    RSVP (Retired Senior Volunteer Program) to volunteer with debris removal and other storm related volunteer opportunities call (256) 547-1691
·    Etowah Baptist Association/Southern Baptist Chainsaw Crews (256) 547-1691
·    Catholic Center of Concern Utility Assistance, Food, Crisis Meds (256)546-0028 ask for Mollie.
·    American Red Cross/Sheltering needs (256) 547-8667
·    Department of Human Resources at 210 Hoke Street Food Stamp Assistance (Power must be off 24 hours before storm related assistance can be given to qualified individuals.)
·    Council on Aging (256) 543-3616 Senior RX medication
·    Gadsden Public Library- Electronic Charging (cell phones, laptops, etc.) internet access.

For other unmet needs not addressed please call 211 First Call for Help at (256) 546-4357 between the hours of 8:00am-4:00pm daily.

Most Popular