Paraplegic man dies in house fire - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Paraplegic man dies in house fire

Posted: Updated:
ENSLEY - AL -

Neighbors say Dedrick Collins was paralyzed from the neck down and was confined to a wheelchair and bed.

Residents say the fire started when someone else in the house left the stove on and fell asleep. Close friend and neighbor Ebony Williams says this was a terrible way for her friend to die. "He was just a genuine person, he was a sweet person," says Williams.

She says the heat from the blaze was so bad she felt it from inside her house across the street. Williams says, "It was flames all over there. But the fact that they were over there but my door is right here and the lock on my door was hot, that's how bad that fire was."