Local Woman Talks After Texting and Driving Car Accident - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Local Woman Talks After Texting and Driving Car Accident

Posted: Updated:

It takes just a split second for disaster to happen if you are texting and driving. Experts say texting takes your eyes off the road for an average of five seconds. One local woman found that out the hard way earlier this week.

A 20-year-old caused a crash that could have taken her life and a friend's life. On a rural road in Broken Arrow, Cristina Rubio was driving home with her best friend Megan Stephens. That's when Rubio got the text message that would change their lives.

"I looked down at my phone for a spilt second and before I even knew it I had took down a brick mailbox and rolled three times," says Cristina Rubio.

The mailbox Rubio hit is now just a pile of bricks on the side of the road. Rubio says since it happened so fast she doesn't remember much.

"I remember hearing my car crushing and my head, I thought I was hitting the roof of the car," says Rubio, "I remember hearing was my best friend Megan screaming and crying it was the worst feeling ever."

Rubio says she doesn't even remember what the text was about.

"I had enough time to type three words and I didn't know what happened. I was rolling. My car was rolling before I even knew. I had written three words," says Rubio.

Rubio says the worst part is she could have taken her best friends life just for a text message.

"I didn't only put my life in danger when I picked up my phone, I put my friends life in danger and could have been anyone else on the road," says Rubio.

Rubio hopes these pictures and story will keep others from texting and driving because even she admits she never thought this could happen to her.

"I can text without looking at my phone I've been texting and driving for a very long time I never thought it would happen to me I didn't even think of the possibilities of wrecking because of texting and driving," says Rubio.

Rubio she has already started changing her driving habits. She no longer even has her phone on in the car.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
  • Latest StoriesMore>>

John Carroll to head Ethics Commission

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:57 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:57:28 GMT
    Former Cumberland Law School Dean John Carroll will serve as acting director of the State Ethics Commission beginning Oct. 1.Ethics Commission Chairman Ed Crowell announced Tuesday that Carroll will fill in when Director Jim Sumer retires Oct. 1 after being the commission's top staff member for 17 years. Crowell says Carroll will not be a candidate for the permanent position. The commission is accepting applications for the permanent position.Carroll spent 13 years as dean of the Cumberland L...More >>

Mother of Fairfield boy who was abducted sends email defending her character, lashes out at parents

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:51 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:51:03 GMT
    The mother of the 9-year-old boy who police say was taken from his Fairfield home says her son was never in danger.More >>
    More >>

Deputies in Etowah County arrest three women for chemical endangerment

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:47 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:47:56 GMT
    The Etowah County sheriff's office arrested three women for chemical endangerment of a child. Investigators charged 28-year-old Ashton Lauren Wood, 25-year-old Jessica Amber Abner and 24-year-old Keeley Elizabeth McCain. Sheriff's Office Deputy Jeremy Lasseter say Wood and her baby both tested positive for amphetamines following the baby's birth. Her bond is set at $10,000. Wood will be supervised by Community corrections and must comply with DHR requirements. She will not be allowed to make ...More >>

30 teens escape from Nashville detention center

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:31 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:31:54 GMT
    A spokesman says more than 30 teens escaped from a Nashville youth detention center and 17 are still being sought.More >>
    Thirty teens "overwhelmed" their minders at a juvenile detention center by simultaneously breaking out of four dormitories and then crawling under a weak spot in a chain-link fence. By Tuesday evening, seven were still on...More >>

Bessemer mayor calls challenger’s request for recount "sour grapes"

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:18 PM EDT2014-09-02 23:18:37 GMT
    Bessemer's mayoral race is not over. Challenger Anthony Underwood lost to incumbent Mayor Kenneth Gulley by more than a thousand votes. But, Underwood believes the voting process was so flawed. He requested a recount.More >>
    More >>

College football games reportedly seen on digital billboard in Birmingham

Tuesday, September 2 2014 6:15 PM EDT2014-09-02 22:15:57 GMT
    Distracted driving comes in many forms:  texting, eating and now watching football from a billboard. This past Saturday, some of our viewers and Facebook friends say they saw football plays and scores and they drove past a digital billboard on I-65 through downtown.More >>
    More >>

No. 5 Auburn's running game in good hands with Artis-Payne, Grant

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:56:16 GMT
    Cameron Artis-Payne and Corey Grant delivered a message in No. 5 Auburn's opener that people worried about the running game can relax a little bit.More >>
    More >>

Alabama, FSU after week 1: Overrated or over reactions?

Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:51 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:51:06 GMT
    Alabama got into a back-and-forth game against West Virginia before beating the Mountaineers 33-23 in Atlanta. The problems came mostly on the defensive side for Nick Saban's Crimson Tide, which had problems with pass coverage.More >>