Super-Sized Random Acts of Kindness - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Super-Sized Random Acts of Kindness

Posted: Updated:

On this Christmas edition of Random Acts of Kindness, we turned to the clergy for guidance on those in need.

"She's had a number of difficulties and setbacks in her life," said Pastor Anthony Scott of Chrystal Holder, who, when we met her was having a minor difficulty with the dog Abby.

"Get in the house. Get in the house. Dog!"

"She is trying to start her life over again, having been in some situations that were abusive both physically and emotionally," he said.

"I try to put it in the past. Look towards the future," she said.

"She actually had expressed a desire to go home and see her family in Durant but did not have the resources," he said.

"I have been praying and working hard for the past three weeks trying to get money to go home for Christmas. I have a new nephew I haven't met yet," she smiled.

Back at First Baptist, Pastor Scott reached out to a social services coordinator for another deserving name.

"And he recommended this young lady who has one child and one on the way," he said of Marietta Colbert.

"I'm 24 I have my 4 year old daughter. I work at a daycare. I've been working at a daycare since 2008. I just recently started working with special needs kids and disabled kids. That's what you do? That's what I did for a year, and then I recently quit that one and moved to a different further place, so now I work at another day care that's out north. With toddlers," she said.

On to St. Pius, where Father Matt Gerlach told us about Ana Villasana.

"Kind of epitomizes the season of giving and the very gift of Christ to the world, that is not for her own purpose but it's to see others have joy, others find joy," he said.

She's got six younger sibling who aren't expecting anything for Christmas.

"Her desire to put her siblings above herself is a true testament to her character. I know she would use the money wisely to ensure her siblings, who she dearly loves, will get the Christmas they deserve," wrote St. Pius.

"Ana, how is it you're so selfless? Cause I mean if I see them happy then I'm happy. So that makes me happy. If I don't see them happy, then I'm just like, I need to do something," she said.

A fitting end to this episode of Random Acts. A recipient, whose about to turn right around and give to others.

"I appreciate everybody that's giving me this donation for my family. Thank you," said Ana.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
  • Latest StoriesMore>>

13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche

Sunday, April 20 2014 1:53 AM EDT2014-04-20 05:53:09 GMT
    Rescuers were digging through piles of snow and ice Saturday for four Sherpa guides buried on Mount Everest when an avalanche swept down the slopes and killed 12 other Nepalese guides in the deadliest disaster on...More >>
    Nepal's authorities temporarily halted climbing on Mount Everest while search teams dug through snow and ice Sunday for three Sherpa guides missing in the deadliest avalanche on the world's highest peak that killed...More >>

Civil War movie "Union" filming in Montevallo

Saturday, April 19 2014 11:52 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:52:27 GMT
    An independent film crew is in Montevallo this weekend to shoot scenes for an upcoming feature.The movie is titled "Union" and is about a "female" confederate soldier in the civil war.Whitney Hamilton wrote the screenplay. She said she wrote a play about a decade ago that told the story of Joan of Arc, and wanted to write another script about some female combatants from the United States.She researched the subject and learned more than 400 women disguised themselves as men during the Civil Wa...More >>

Police believe former student is behind threat at UNA

Saturday, April 19 2014 10:23 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:23:32 GMT
    University of North Alabama police say that 22-year-old Brian Mitchell of Madison, Alabama surrendered to police on Friday. Police say Mitchell is behind a message posted on social media site, Yik Yak,More >>
    University of North Alabama police say that 22-year-old from of Madison, Alabama surrendered to police on Friday.More >>

Alabama defense dominates spring game

Blake Sims' bid to replace AJ McCarron as Alabama's starting quarterback hit a snag Saturday afternoon when the Crimson Tide defense dominated the annual A-Day game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.More >>

Marshall leads Auburn 1st team to rout of 2nd team

Nick Marshall threw four touchdowns in two quarters as Auburn's first team routed its second team 58-3 on Saturday in a spring football game.More >>

Crime Stoppers April 19: Who took Manquel Mertez Whittsett's life?

Saturday, April 19 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-04-19 23:00:10 GMT
    It hasn't even been a year since a Birmingham man lost his life. The homicide happened in the summer of 2013, and police don't want to waste any more time. That's why they're calling on you to help in this unsolved killing.More >>

Two families lose homes during apartment fire

Friday, April 18 2014 11:45 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:45:09 GMT
    Two families lost their homes during a fire Friday night at the Crestwood Hills Apartments in the 1200 block of 49th Place South in Birmingham. Firefighters responded around 9:30pm and they had the fireMore >>
    Two families lost their homes during a fire Friday night at the Crestwood Hills Apartments.More >>

Pickens County lawmen are looking for armed robbery suspects

Friday, April 18 2014 11:20 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:20:19 GMT
    Karen Michelle BarkerKaren Michelle Barker
    Pickens County Sheriff's Office want Karen Michelle Barker and Anthony Glenn Poe in custody. Lawmen say the duo followed a lady home and robbed her as she exited her vehicle. It happened around 12pm onMore >>
    Pickens County Sheriff's Office want Karen Michelle Barker and Anthony Glenn Poe in custody.More >>