Super-Sized Random Acts of Kindness - ABC 33/40 - Birmingham News, Weather, Sports

Super-Sized Random Acts of Kindness

Posted: Updated:

On this Christmas edition of Random Acts of Kindness, we turned to the clergy for guidance on those in need.

"She's had a number of difficulties and setbacks in her life," said Pastor Anthony Scott of Chrystal Holder, who, when we met her was having a minor difficulty with the dog Abby.

"Get in the house. Get in the house. Dog!"

"She is trying to start her life over again, having been in some situations that were abusive both physically and emotionally," he said.

"I try to put it in the past. Look towards the future," she said.

"She actually had expressed a desire to go home and see her family in Durant but did not have the resources," he said.

"I have been praying and working hard for the past three weeks trying to get money to go home for Christmas. I have a new nephew I haven't met yet," she smiled.

Back at First Baptist, Pastor Scott reached out to a social services coordinator for another deserving name.

"And he recommended this young lady who has one child and one on the way," he said of Marietta Colbert.

"I'm 24 I have my 4 year old daughter. I work at a daycare. I've been working at a daycare since 2008. I just recently started working with special needs kids and disabled kids. That's what you do? That's what I did for a year, and then I recently quit that one and moved to a different further place, so now I work at another day care that's out north. With toddlers," she said.

On to St. Pius, where Father Matt Gerlach told us about Ana Villasana.

"Kind of epitomizes the season of giving and the very gift of Christ to the world, that is not for her own purpose but it's to see others have joy, others find joy," he said.

She's got six younger sibling who aren't expecting anything for Christmas.

"Her desire to put her siblings above herself is a true testament to her character. I know she would use the money wisely to ensure her siblings, who she dearly loves, will get the Christmas they deserve," wrote St. Pius.

"Ana, how is it you're so selfless? Cause I mean if I see them happy then I'm happy. So that makes me happy. If I don't see them happy, then I'm just like, I need to do something," she said.

A fitting end to this episode of Random Acts. A recipient, whose about to turn right around and give to others.

"I appreciate everybody that's giving me this donation for my family. Thank you," said Ana.

Most Popular

Stories
Videos
  • Latest StoriesMore>>

Halliburton reaches $1.1Billion oil spill settlement

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:11:01 GMT
    Halliburton says it has agreed to pay $1.1 billion to settle a substantial portion of plaintiff claims arising from the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The settlement, which is subject to court approval, will be paid into a trust until appeals are resolved over the next two years.More >>
    More >>

32 teens escape from Nashville detention center

Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:01:35 GMT
    A spokesman says more than 30 teens escaped from a Nashville youth detention center and 17 are still being sought.More >>
    Thirty-two teens escaped from a Nashville youth detention center by crawling under a weak spot in a fence late Monday, and 10 of them were still on the run Tuesday, a spokesman said.More >>

Gas prices should be lower by Halloween

Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:38 AM EDT2014-09-02 13:38:56 GMT
    Everyday, GasBuddy surveys 550 gas stations in Birmingham, and it has found the average retail price of gas in Birmingham has dropped by 1.4-cents a gallon in the past seven-days. The average was $3.21 a gallon yesterday. The national average has increased to $3.43 a gallon."With the summer driving season behind us, motorists can look forward to a national average for gasoline that soon resumes its decline," said GasBuddy.com Senior Petroleum Analyst Patrick DeHaan. "Falling demand and an imp...More >>

UPDATE: Birmingham Police investigating homicide in Ensley

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:53 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:53:05 GMT
    One person dead, one injured in shooting in EnsleyMore >>
    One person dead, one injured in shooting in Ensley
    More >>

Birmingham Skyline to be Lit Teal for Cancer Awareness

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:39 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:39:42 GMT
    Raising awareness to the symptoms of gynecologic cancers is a very important mission and could ultimately save women's lives. Three Birmingham organizations — the CanSurvive GYN Cancer Support Group, the Laura Crandall Brown Ovarian Cancer Foundation, and the Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation — are partnering to do just that with their “A State of Teal” campaign.More >>
    More >>

Two-story home destroyed in overnight fire

Tuesday, September 2 2014 7:11 AM EDT2014-09-02 11:11:07 GMT
    Fire destroys two-story home on Letson Farm Trail in McCalla.More >>
    Fire destroys two-story home on Letson Farm Trail in McCalla.
    More >>

Saban: Bama's QB competition continues

Monday, September 1 2014 10:26 PM EDT2014-09-02 02:26:09 GMT
    Alabama still has competition for the starting job at quarterback. Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban says both Blake Sims and Jake Coker will play Saturday against Florida Atlantic. He says he hasn't determined how the rotation will work for No. 2 Alabama.More >>
    More >>

Last day for parking under I-20-59 bridges downtown

Monday, September 1 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-09-01 23:48:58 GMT
    Starting Tuesday, drivers won't be able to park underneath the I-20/59 bridges in downtown Birmingham.Around 400 spaces will be eliminated. It's due to safety concerns stemming from the aging overpass that will undergo repairs.Some call these parking spaces convenient, well shaded, valuable and without them.Robert Langston says, "It's kind of concerning because you need all the parking around here."Charlie Gamble says, "I think it's a mistake, especially when they have a big event." "We picni...More >>