America's First Federal Credit Union
"First Class Student of the Week" Contest
August 25, 2013 – May 2, 2014
Official Contest Rules
Do I need to purchase anything to participate in this Contest?
No purchase is necessary to participate in this Contest. A purchase does not improve one's chance of winning.
Who is conducting this Contest?
TV Alabama, Inc., along with America's First Federal Credit Union (collectively "Sponsors") is conducting this Contest on TV station WCFT-TV and WJSU-TV, d.b.a. ABC 33/40 ("Station").
Who can Nominate Candidates for this Contest?
Individuals who are:
Who may be nominated to win this Contest?
Individuals who are:
Who cannot participate as a Nominator or a Nominee in this Contest?
Individuals or their Family/Household members who:
When will this Contest begin and end?
Nominations will be accepted beginning August 23, 2013 and will continue thereafter through February 3, 2014. Nominations must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. (Central Standard Time) on February 4, 2013. One (1) Weekly Winner will be selected each week from September 9, 2013 through May 2, 2014 (excluding the weeks of December 17, 2013 and December 24, 2013).
How can I participate in and win this Contest?
To enter, a student must be nominated by a teacher or school administrator, and validated by the principal. Nomination forms are available at www.abc3340.com under the "Community" heading. The nomination forms are password-protected, and passwords were provided to principals and counselors via a letter sent to each high school in the ABC 33/40 DMA prior to the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year. Weekly winners ("Weekly Winners") will be selected by a panel of judges consisting of representatives from ABC 33/40 and America's First Federal Credit Union, and judged on academic excellence, as well as extracurricular and community service involvement. Judges' decisions will be in their subjective and final decision. Weekly Winners will then be required to write an essay on the topic, "How can a credit union membership benefit college students?" Essays must be typed and double-spaced, and limited to 500 words or less. Essays must be submitted with a cover sheet that contains the name of the student and the school name. This information must not appear on any other page or anywhere within the essay itself. Essays should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than four (4) weeks after the student receives notification that he/she has been selected as a Weekly Winner. A third-party independent panel of judges will choose three (3) scholarship recipients based grammar, organization, style, craftsmanship and impression. Decision of the judges is subjective and final, and all essays will become the property of America's First Federal Credit Union. Failure to adhere to any of these rules will result in disqualification of the essay. Each Weekly Winner can only win once within the 2012-2013 school year. Schools may nominate as many students as they would like, however, only one (1) Weekly Winner will be selected per school.
What can I win?
The thirty (30) Weekly Winners will each receive a plaque engraved with the Weekly Winner's name and school, and a Fifty-dollar ($50) Visa gift card from America's First Federal Credit Union, and an invitation to a banquet to be held in the Weekly Winners' honor, tentatively scheduled for May 2013 ("the Banquet"). The Weekly Prize is valued at approximately $85. Three (3) scholarship winners ("Scholarship Winners") will be selected from the essays of the Weekly Winners in the judges' subjective and final decision. The Scholarship is valued at Five-thousand dollars ($5,000). The prize restrictions/conditions outlined are not all-inclusive and may be subject to additional restrictions/conditions, which will be stated in the Affidavit/Release.
What are my odds of winning this Contest?
The odds of winning depend on the number of qualified nominations received, the judges' subjective determination of the Nominees' academic excellence and extracurricular and community service involvement, and the judges' subjective evaluation of the essays submitted by the Weekly Winners.
How will I be notified?
Weekly Winners will be notified by e-mail, phone numbers(s) or other available contact information listed on the nomination. The three (3) Scholarship Winners will be announced at the banquet, which all Weekly Winners will be invited to attend.
Will I be responsible for paying taxes on the prize?
Other than expressly stated in prize descriptions in these Rules, all federal, state, local, and/or other taxes, without limitation, including income taxes, are sole responsibility of the winner. Winner will receive a 1099 form from the Sponsor for the total approximate retail value, as stated herein, of the prize he/she won in the calendar year it was won.
What are my responsibilities as the Prize winner?
The Prize winner will be required to provide:
Under what conditions will a Prize winner be disqualified an alternate winner selected?
What else do I need to know about this Contest?
This Contest is subject to the following additional rules:
1. Prize Limits. You may win this Contest only once and only one (1) winner per school is permitted. You are eligible to win a prize from Sponsor valued in excess of Six Hundred Dollars ($600) only once per every twelve (12) months.
2. Prize Substitutions. Prizes may not be redeemed, exchanged or otherwise substituted. No substitution or cash equivalent of prize permitted except at the sole discretion of the Sponsors. PRIZES ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE.
3. Sponsor Decisions. Decisions of Sponsor with respect to this Contest shall be final in all regards. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to change, alter and/or modify these rules at any time, including the substitution of a prize of equal or greater value. Such change, alteration and/or modification shall become effective upon the broadcast of the same by Sponsor.
4. Privacy. Any personal information supplied by entrants will be subject to Sponsor's Privacy Policies and terms of service posted at its website. Sponsor has the right to modify, use in perpetuity on any media, assign to any third parties and or dispose of entries. Once submitted, entries become the sole property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
5. Promotional Use of Winner's Identity. By participating in this Contest, you grant Sponsor and its designees permission to use your name, picture, likeness, biographical information, statements, address (city and state) and/or voice in any manner for any marketing, advertising or promotions, whether telecast, published, or used in other medium (including but not limited to posting on the web), and to maintain such name, picture, likeness and/or voice in a database for future use, all without additional remuneration, all to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor will not provide any personally identifying information of minors, regardless of its source, to any third party without the express written consent of entrant's parent/legal guardian.
Student winners and their parent/legal guardian agree to have the student's photo taken upon acceptance of the award and published by ABC 33/40 and America's First Federal Credit Union.
6. Technical Problems. Neither Sponsor nor its agents and representatives shall be responsible for:
7. Contest Cancellation/Suspension. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this Contest in the event Sponsor cannot preserve the security or proper administration of this Contest, or for any other reason in Sponsor's sole and absolute discretion. In case of a dispute over the identity of the entrant who submitted a selected Internet entry (if applicable), Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to deem the owner of the email account (as indicated on Internet service provider records) to be the entrant.
8. Trademarks. Any trademarks, tradenames, and/or tradestyles used in this Contest are the sole property of the respective owners of such trademarks, tradenames, and/or tradestyles and are used herein solely for identification purposes.
9. Legal Preemption. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and to these Rules. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
10. Acknowledgements. By participating, you agree:
11. Acknowledgement/Waiver/Indemnification/Release. Winners of any Prize shall be required to execute the attached Acknowledgement, Waiver, Indemnification and Release prior to his or her receipt of such Prize.
12. Scholarship Funds. Scholarship funds will be held by America's First Federal Credit Union until written verification is received by the college registrar where the scholarship winner is enrolled. Scholarship funds will be paid directly to the institution in the name of the recipient. Funds are to be used only for tuition and fees, or books, fees, supplies and equipment required for the course load.
13. Rules/Winners List. Official Rules will be posted on the Sponsor's website during the Contest period. To receive a copy of the Official Rules or the Name of the winner, send a self-addressed envelope to: America's First Federal Credit Union First Class Student of the Week, c/o ABC 33/40, P.O. Box 361050, Birmingham, AL 35236.