WAY TO GRILL: DIRECT AND INDIRECT HIGH HEAT (450° TO 550° F)
4 Bone-in Rib eye Steaks, 14 – 16 oz (about 1-¼ inch thick)
¾ lb Broccolini with stalks no wider than ½ inch
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 large garlic cloves
¼ cup finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon kosher salt
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. On a cutting board finely chop the garlic and then sprinkle with the salt. Use the side of a knife to smash the garlic into a paste. Put the garlic paste into a small bowl and add the remaining paste ingredients.
2. Smear the paste evenly over both sides of each steak. Let the steaks stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Meanwhile soak the broccolini.
3. In a large bowl of water, submerge the broccolini for 20 to 30 minutes so that they absorb water. This will help them steam a little on the grill.
4. Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over high heat. If cooking on a charcoal grill, place the charcoal on one side of the grill so that direct cooking will take place directly over the coals. Moving the meat to the other side of the grill will allow for indirect cooking. This can be achieved also with a gas grill by utilizing the burners on one side of the grill.
5. Pour off the water from the bowl of broccolini. Lightly drizzle some oil over the broccolini and season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat them evenly with oil and salt.
6. Brush the cooking grates clean with an iron brush. Grill the steaks over direct high heat with the lid closed as much as possible until cooked to your desired doneness, 5 – 6 minutes per side for medium rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over to indirect high heat). Remove from the grill and let rest while you grill the broccolini.
7. Using tongs, lift the broccolini and allow any excess oil to drip back into the bowl. Grill the broccolini over direct high heat with the lid closed as much as possible until lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes turning occasionally. Finish cooking the broccolini over indirect high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with the steaks.