Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Feta Cheese
Portobello Mushrooms are so meaty and delicious you may find yourself suggesting this recipe for your backyard burger cook out on a regular basis.
Prep time 1 hour
Cook time 20 minutes
4 large portobello mushroom caps, 5 inches in diameter
½ cup prepared bottled marinade. Suggested: Gourmet Warehouse Greek flavor marinade
1 Red onion sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
4 oz. feta cheese
4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
4 slices tomato
4 slices red onion
2 bibb lettuce leaves, halved
1. Clean mushrooms with a damp cloth and remove their stems. Place in a glass dish, stem (gill) side up. With a paring knife cut a small x in the bottom of the mushroom cap. This will allow water to escape in the cooking process, providing a mouthful of flavor not water!
2. Grab a dish which will accommodate the mushrooms while they marinate. Drizzle the marinade over the cleaned mushrooms. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, turning mushrooms once.
3. In a sauté pan over medium heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Once hot, add onions and stir. Reduce heat to low and cook until soft and translucent for about 10 minutes. Onions have lots of natural sugars and the higher heat at the beginning of the cooking process helps form a seal for the juices during the rest of the cooking process. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source. Grill or broil the mushrooms on medium heat, turning often, until tender about 4 minutes on each side. Baste with marinade to keep from drying out. Add slice of feta cheese and allow to melt slightly. Using tongs, transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
5. Prepare Kaiser rolls by splitting and spreading both sides with garlic mayonnaise. On top side of roll garnish with 1 slice of tomato and piece of bibb lettuce. Place each mushroom on the base side of roll and top with 1 tbsp. of caramelized onions. Serve immediately.